How do you recognize a good book?

There are innumerable “good” books which bring no real benefit.

Whenever I read something I look for the perfume in between the words. If I don´t detect the indefinable flavour, I put it aside at once.
A good book or text, appeals to me beyond its words – it exudes a magic energy.

Thus, if something is real, it will seize me right from the first page. I have no time nor patience for languorous words without strong essence.

There is nothing to wait.

Like every good thing, a good book will enthrall you from the very beginning.

11 Responses to How do you recognize a good book?

1. seeingwhatis says:

Ja. Sanning finns bara mellan orden, om vi talar om text.

2. Joy is now says:

I love this! A certain perfume, flavour, resonating with energy, a strong essence. I could never explain why some books don’t grab me from the get go. Now I know. I picture the words on the page almost steaming with energy, giving off more than the meaning we attribute to them, if we will only look.
    And I forgot to look mellan orden! Eckhart says we should look more at the space in a room than at the things in it. So similar.

Indeed Emma, a good book gives you a great sense of space and elation, even if deals with “unpleasant” stuff.

Yes, the key words for good books: flavour, energy, excitement…

3. George Vagabon says:

You don’t need to think about it, you get swept away from the beginning. I have a 40-50 page criteria. If it hasn’t grabbed me by then, I discard it. Why continue with something that you can’t engage with..?

I am impressed you have such a patience.

I for one go for the “few words” criteria. If a book is really good and appealing, no matter where I open it, it kind of “strikes” me.

If it doesn´t, I never buy it.

• George Vagabon says:

Fair enough. It’s like making instant judgements on meeting people. Sometimes you need to give them the benefit of the doubt if your immediate response is negative.

Sometimes you are well deserved to give them the benefit of the doubt if your immediate response is positive…:) 😛

• George Vagabon says: