I highlight here some of the most conspicuous questions in Kenneth´s post The Cult of Individualism. His writing is insanely accurate and poses exactly the questions that people blatantly refuse to ask.

“I came across a ton of people who felt as though they were‘all on their own’. Whether it was due to the pressures of life, work, raising a family, or fill-in-the-blank, many felt that there was nobody they could turn to for .

Why do so many people feel disconnected? Why do so many people feel lonely? Why are so many people using alcohol or drugs to alleviate these feelings?

Don’t we have the responsibility to ask what is going on in the Western World that is not going on in other cultures?

What I am often really referring to is a very simple vice that we are all familiar with: selfishness.

Thomas Jefferson noticed a tendency among the fledgling nation he helped to create and wrote, “Self-love is no part of morality.  Indeed it is exactly its counterpart.  It is the sole antagonist of virtue leading us constantly by our propensities to self-gratification in violation of our moral duties to others

Let’s be honest with ourselves, Western Society is crumbling all around us; celebrities are worshipped, people pop pills, fractured relationships are commonplace, depression and loneliness run rampant……Yet instead of seeing these problems and coming together to work towards solutions….too often we have an attitude that it’s ‘every man and woman for themselves “(end of this resume)

I for one am not ashamed to admit that I too feel that I am totally on my own in this world. Even those who claim to be near me, are not. I am surrounded by cowards. People who assume nothing. Who never dare to go in-depth with anything, ever excusing themselves for lack of time, which is nothing but lack of interest. No, let´s face it: NO ONE WANTS TO KNOW ANYTHING for real. No one dares to question, as if the ongoing drama doesn´t regard them. Indeed, we are all part of this evil scenario, yet we all play innocent.

Can we all have an open dialogue about this? Or are you too going to discard these questions as not being your business?

9 Responses to Do you ever feel as though you are all on your own and there is nobody to help you?

1. reikiheidi says:

Just how I have been feeling lately… irritated, trapped. Yet I am not on my own – partner, family, friends… so how can I be feeling ‘on my own’? Is it selfishness? In wanting to ‘break free’ to scream, lash out, rage, am I doing disservice to my family? Is it selfish to feel this way? Or is it – perhaps – enlightened? To admit these feelings, to own them, to feel the truth of them?
    Everything around me irritates me – the shops with their useless shinies designed only to part us from money; the passing conversations of those fallen/falling prey to such consumption; the tv ads, the little cliques of mothers…
    All is Illusion. How does one deal with knowing illusion, when all others still see nothing but the illusion?

Heidi,

Thank you for these heartfelt lines.

I feel exactly like you: trapped.

Let me ponder a while and I will get back with an appropriate answer.

Hugs,

Julien

What comes to mind is this:

We are afraid to fully admit how lonely we are. We are horrified to get evidence for what we already know, that´s why we don´t express the truth.

Do you feel “on your own”?…No one but you can answer that. There is no other way than plunging into this very question.

Ask yourself that: Does choking your natural emotions bring any benefit to those near you?

It is not in the least “selfish” to express your spontaneous truth. The risk is huge though to state your truth, as those around us cannot engage in an intimate and meaningful dialogue, and they usually sanction and demean us for being honest. They will discard us exactly just the way they were once discarded.

In my case, every time I try to speak with my girl-friend about impending matters, she raises the voice, making me feel guilty for posing those questions.
      If we split, I am afraid to feel even more lonely. But this is sheer self-delusion,
      as I am already on my own, as she cannot take the truth of who I really am.

Everybody is unfolding his agenda. There is no real contact, because the only thing we know is to lie to ourselves, to be in constant fear of the consequence of openly stating our truth.

What kind of true relation can we speak about, as we irretrievably hide ourselves?…

So again:

In not breaking free, not lashing out, not letting out your rage, you are above all doing a disservice to your Self. And as long as you hurt yourself, you hurt those near you.

So it is not selfish but really enlightened to admit these feelings, to own them, to feel the truth of them.

To not be really alive, to constantly hide our potential, frustrating ourselves of our natural urge indulging in a self-demeaning role, is highly upsetting. How can you be other than irritated?

You are irritated too of everything around because all people around are engaged in the same phony masquerade.

As to your last question: “How does one deal with knowing illusion, when all others still see nothing but the illusion?”

Don´t “deal” because trying to deal you reinforce the distance between you and what you feel urged to do. You – like me – are very near a burst. It will come…resisting it, means disease.

To confront those around us may create a more truthful contact, or a final rupture.
      We don´t know, but the risk is worth taking. Otherwise we will indulge in a insidiously dark and mediocre existence.

I repeat: as long as we are untruthful to ourselves, hurting ourselves, we are hurting the others, transgressing the laws of Love.

• reikiheidi says:

Julien,

thank you for your thoughtful, & truthful response. I can & I do talk to my partner – to some extent he knows how I feel – but he cannot understand it. My problem is this: I do not know, I have never learned – how to release this inner anger. I do not know how to not be irritated… what is it I want? I don’t know! I don’t even know!
        It is a question of wanting – needing – something different, a release – but not knowing what that IS… & thus, to some extent, this irritation, frustration, anger.

There is a lot more for me to think about in your words, which I shall continue to think upon. I hope my reply makes some kind of sense.
        For now the best place for me is my bed, with an author who is at the same time a release and thoughtful, thought-provoking – Mr Iain M Banks, Look to Windward. We have lost a Master with his passing. Anyway, that’s by the by,
        again thank you, & I shall return.

2. mystic1muse says:

I feel very much that I am on my own, and yet not. I feel both independent, and yet supported and intertwined with others, with life. I often proceeded independently as if totally on my own. But in the background of consciousness I know this is not so. I am infused by humanity, by history, by those with me on the way of life, and by those who would set themselves against me. This independence thing is a yes and no; like so many things.

3. mystic1muse says:

“…as long as we are untruthful to ourselves, hurting ourselves, we are hurting the others, transgressing the laws of Love.”

Some truth in that, but seems its not so much a black and white thing. Rather, we are to always to some degree untruthful to ourselves, hurt ourselves and others. But as time goes on, things can take a brighter turn, and shade in steps toward love and what is true.